Friday, April 15, 2011

I Want To But I'm Sacred

I got a message today from one of the viewers of my YouTube channel. His problem was one that I suspect is quite common among novice hypnotists, so I decided to share it here without revealing the name of the person who wrote to me. The message went like this:

Subject: Hypnosis...scared

Dear Briz,

I have been thinking (for over a year now) about attempting to hypnotize someone, but haven't brought up the nerve to do it. Could you give me some advice?


Here is my response:

What you are experiencing is not uncommon. I know when I began as a hypnotist, what I faced most was a fear of failure. Even armed with strong information from good, solid teachers and mentors, I was concerned that the methods "just wouldn't work for me".

I trusted in the process but not in my ability to apply it. Until I did it for the first time. When my subject went under so quickly he almost collapsed in my arms, my mouth hung open and all I could think was, "Omigod, I DID it!! Holy COW!!!"

What you are experiencing is normal but temporary. The only cure is to get out there and do it. Otherwise you're going to be scared forever and haunted by the thought of what you could have done but never had the nerve to try.

The solution is simple. Notice I didn't say it was easy. It's very difficult to pull off, but it's also a simple task. Act like you know exactly what you are doing and that you will always succeed.

That's all there is to it.

Conduct yourself as someone who is a skilled hypnotist who has studied the craft thoroughly (which, if I understand you correctly, you have) but also as someone who has never failed.

Don't act cocky or arrogant. Never approach someone with the air of "You cannot resist my power." That will turn anyone off and make them want to resist you. Instead, present your excitement and love of hypnosis as something wonderful you can't wait to share. And that's true!

Approach your subjects with an introduction of, "I am a hypnotist and I would love to share something with you. It I absolutely amazing! It's perfectly safe, and it feels just wonderful! May I show you? Say yes." And away you go.

Keep all that you have learned in mind. Ethics, safety for the subject, and all due consideration for their well-being and enjoyment. But behave as if you have done this a thousand times and the result is always one of success and joy. The more you do it, the more you will convince yourself. And in a while, a surprisingly short while, you will no longer need to convince yourself. You will be the hypnotist you want to be.

From then on it's just a question of continuing to put your art into practice and growing and learning more and more as you go. That's it.

Get out there and do it. Act brave and you'll be brave. Enjoy.

-Briz

I look forward to hearing of this young hypnotist's successes soon. Yours too.

1 comment: